Monday, July 30, 2007

Lesson 10: Dr. Zhao's podcast

I loved Dr. Zhao's idea of virtual gaming to learn a foreign language. I know I would have enjoyed the four years I took of Spanish a lot more if we had a tool like that. I agree that the difference between the United States and other countries is our capacity to accept change. We have to stop viewing ourselves as the best and start working together. If we want to stay competitive, our educational system does have to become more global, virtual, and digital. However after listening to the podcast, I also strongly believe that there needs to be a balance between the social interaction and nurturing a child can receive from a teacher and the impending demand of the virtual world. I don't believe that we can do without either one. As Dr. Zhao consistently pointed out, our educational system today is outdated and not competitive. Being the mother of two young children, that scares me to death because of course as parents we worry constantly about our child's future. After listening and going through a short bout of depression, I guess all we can do is be receptive and try to make a positive change. After all we wouldn't have signed up for this course if we didn't feel it were important to our students.
I imagine our first step would be to follow the last three major points of Dr. Zhao which were to 1. Recognize our virtual environment 2. Develop some exchange or communication between countries and 3. to help each other as educators to see the important relationship between teaching and technology. Side note to Lori- Can you believe these words are coming out of the person who a few months ago didn't know how to type in a URL address in the correct spot? Scary huh? I guess if that doesn't prove change is possible, what does?

2 comments:

Mr. D. said...

Lorie,
I'm impressed with your technological leap this summer! Glad you have stuck with this online course.

Zhao's comment on US competition was interesting, especially his analogy between the US schools not allowing competition and communist China's schools competing.

I totally agree with your comment on needing a balance between the nurturing interaction a teacher provides and the virtual world technology provides. We do need to rethink our roles, but there is room from people and machines!

Unknown said...

Lorie,

Isn't it amazing the learning that can take place when someone opens themselves to the possibilities?! I'm so glad you stuck with this course and that you are finding it valuable!