Saturday, July 28, 2007

Wacky about Wikis

I really enjoyed lesson 6. I learned so much about wikis and now I don't know which I want to create more, a reading blog or wiki? What I like about a wiki is that it is collaborative and that it seems easy to use and edit. The woman on the PBwiki said, "Reflection is at the heart of learning." I think this is very true, and therefore like that aspect of creating a wiki. I also like that it is secure and requires a password to get in so that you are able to control who is adding information. I viewed several links, many of which used wikis for their college syllabus, but I liked Mr. Lindsay's wiki for his sixth grade class. What is the difference between PBwiki and Wikispaces? I noticed that Wikispaces cost $5-20 per month but PBwiki is free. Why is that?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Free vs. Cost

With PBWiki, the creators offered it for free to get teachers using it. Now you still get a free version, but you can upgrade to a paid version to get more space and so on. For most people, the free version is fine and is a great way to start.

I think WikiSpaces might give a certain amount of space for free, but I'm not as familiar with their product.

The reason there is a cost for some is that the owners need to pay for server space to host their product and the more people who use it, the more space they need. Some will put ads on in order to generate income. Others offer a limited free version, ad free, and also have paid versions.